AOMEI Backupper is touted to be one of the best backup software tools on the market. Its developer, AOMEI, has over 12 years of experience in the data insurance industry.
The AOMEI Backupper software provides 24/7 technical support to its paying subscribers and is trusted by over 50 million users worldwide. It safeguards computer and network data against file loss, system crashes, hardware damage, and ransomware attacks.
We will take a closer look at the software’s vital information, such as the available subscription packages, their respective features, and how to install it and navigate its user interface. Finally, we will give our honest review of AOMEI Backupper.
AOMEI Backupper Available Packages
The software is available in six different editions to support the needs of both individual and corporate users.
- Standard – Freeware available for personal use. It is supported by all the latest operating systems and offers users a secure File, System, Disk, and Partition backup. You can also take advantage of the 15-day Cloud Backup trial and access to technical support during business hours.
- Professional – The price starts at $39.95. It includes everything available in the standard edition but upgrades the technical support to 24/7/365 and includes Cloud Backup and an array of other premium features like an encrypted backup.
- Workstation – Price starts at $49.95. Workstation is the cheapest edition suited for business use. It includes everything from the two previous editions, plus all forms of syncing, restoring, and cloning. Tools like Command Line Utility and PXE Boot Tool are also included in this version.
- Server – Price starts at $149.00. It includes one server license and everything from the previously mentioned editions. Server and Workstation editions are essentially the same, except the Server edition supports Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2019 (including R2), SBS 2003, 2008, and 2011.
- Technician – Price starts at $499.00. The Technician edition includes one technician license, the Profitable Toolkit, and additional specialized tools. The Profitable Toolkit allows a single technician to provide billable technical support to an unlimited number of clients.
- Technician Plus – Price starts at $699.00. The Technician Plus edition includes everything provided by the Technician edition but also allows the technician to support an unlimited number of client servers for the following server setups: Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2019 (including R2), SBS 2003, 2008, and 2011.
How to Install AOMEI Backupper Standard
- Navigate to AOMEI’s website. Hover over Personal, located on the navigation menu at the top of the page. Click Standard Edition. Or go directly to https://www.ubackup.com/free-backup-software.html.
- Under AOMEI Backupper Standard 7.0.0, click Download Freeware.
- You will be redirected to the download page. Again click the green Download Freeware button.
- Within the Save As window, choose where you want to save the AOMEIBackupperStd.RbQdZ file. Click Save.
- Once the file is downloaded, locate the executable and double-click to launch the installer. Start by selecting your preferred Setup Language. Then click OK.
- You will be offered to try AOMEI Backupper Pro for free. If you’d like to take this offer, click the orange Try Pro for Free button otherwise, just select Skip.
- On the next page, you can read AOMEI’s Terms of Agreement by clicking I accept the agreement. You can also alter the Path where you are installing AOMEI Backupper. Or you can just select Install Now.
- Now AOMEI Backupper will begin the installation.
- When the installation is complete, decide whether you want to Join the User Experience Improvement Program. Then click Enjoy Now. AOMEI Backupper will automatically start.
Navigating AOMEI Backupper
To get started using AOMEI Backupper, open the application. Notice the five categories along the left-hand side: Home, Backup, Sync, Restore, Clone, and Tools. Now we’ll take a closer look into each of these categories so you know how to use the features of AOMEI Backupper.
Within the Home tab, you can select New Backup or New Sync to get started quickly.
When you click New Backup you get redirected to the Backup tab. When you click New Sync you get redirected to the Sync tab.
From the Backup tab, you can select:
- System Backup – Backup Windows and create an image of the system partition
- Disk Backup – Backup hard disks to an image file
- File Backup – Easily backup files and folders to an image file
- AOMEI OneKey Recovery – One key to create a recovery partition for system backup and restore
- Partition Backup – Backup partitions or dynamic volumes to an image file
- Cloud Backup – Backup data to secure and reliable AOMEI Cloud storage
From the Sync tab, you can select:
- Basic Sync – Easily sync changed files from the source directory to the destination directory
The other three options are only available for the Pro (or more advanced) versions:
- Mirror Sync – Always keep the files in the destination directory exactly the same as the source directory.
- Real-Time Sync – Sync changed files from the source directory to the destination directory in real time
- Two-Way Sync – Any changes in the source or destination directory will be synced to the other side
From the Restore tab, you click Select Image File to use for restoration.
From the Clone tab, you can choose two options with the Standard version:
- Disk Clone – Clone a hard disk drive to another
- Partition Clone – Clone a partition or volume from one to another
With the Pro version, there is a third option:
- System Clone – Clone or migrate your system to SSD or other disks
From the Tools tab, you can choose from the following tools:
- Create Bootable Media
- Explore Image (Pro)
- Recovery Environment (Pro)
- Disk Wipe (Pro)
- Notification Settings
- Storage Management
- View Logs
- Check Image
- Import/Export Configuration
- Create Portable Version (Pro)
From any tab, you can select Login from the menu at the top of the window. If you sign up for an AOMEI Account, you get 1TB of cloud storage free!
8. Settings, Reload, Register, and More
Click the hamburger icon at the top of any tab to open a dropdown menu. You can access the following options:
- Check for Updates
- Help us translate
- AOMEI freeware
- Cancel Control
How to Use AOMEI Backupper – Creating a Backup
For most users, AOMEI Backupper is most useful as a backup tool. By backing up your computer’s files, you are protecting your personal information and avoiding the loss of important files or irreplaceable photos and videos if your hard drive is damaged or falls victim to ransomware.
The majority of computer users don’t know where to begin to start backing up their information, and that’s where AOMEI Backupper comes in. It handles all the backup processes in a few simple clicks. Say, you want to preserve your hard drive, select Disk Backup. You may also opt to back up critical files and folders by selecting File Backup.
System Backup, on the other hand, lets you back up your entire operating system, so if your computer is ever critically damaged, you can restore to this Windows backup within the Restore tab.
The following sets of step-by-step instructions demonstrate how to create a File Backup and a Disk Backup:
1. File Backup
If you want to back up certain folders or files, you can do the following:
- From the Backup tab, select File Backup.
- On the File Backup window, you can now click Add Folder or Add File.
- Within the Open window, find the Folder or File you want to backup. Then click Open.
- Once you’ve selected the Folder or File, click the address bar below to select the location where you want to backup the folder.
- Then click Start Backup.
- AOMEI Backupper will start by Trying to create snapshots, but eventually, the operation will finish, and you’ll be greeted with a green checkmark. Click Finish.
- Once a backup has been created, it will be displayed within the Home tab so you can easily manage all your backups. You can easily see when you last backed up the File, Folder, Disk, etc.
2. Disk Backup
If you want to back up the entire hard drive, you can follow along with these steps:
- From the Backup tab, select Disk Backup.
- On the Disk Backup window, click Add Disk.
- You can then choose which disk on your system where you want the backup to be stored. When you select it, it will turn green. Click Add.
- Now you can review the hard drive you are trying to back up (the total space free and total space used). You’ll also need to select a partition or hard drive to store the disk backup. If you notice a warning, The disk space on the selected partition may be insufficient, then you won’t be able to back up the drive to that partition. You may need to use an external hard drive.
- Once a partition or external hard drive large enough to accommodate the backup is selected, you can click Start Backup.
- Allow sufficient time for the backup to complete. The larger the hard drive, the longer the backup process will take.
AOMEI Backupper is a great tool for anyone looking for a free but efficient way to back up computer data. With AMOEI Backupper, you can create backups for your System, Disk, Files/Folders, and Partitions, which you can eventually manage using the Home tab. You can also program it to Schedule regular backups.
You may also try Cloud Backup for free for 15-days to see if you are interested in moving your backups to a much safer alternative storage, the cloud.
But the AOMEI Backupper is much more than just a backup tool. You can also Restore damaged or corrupted Files/Folders, Hard Drives, Partitions, or Systems using the backups you’ve created. You can also Clone an entire hard drive onto another, creating a complete copy of your computer’s existing hard drive that you can use, in case your hard drive ever fails.
AOMEI is a well-designed tool with a user-friendly modern interface. The software is intuitive, responsive, and contains all the necessary components without being cluttered or confusing. It works fast in creating backups, but the average turnaround time depends on the size of the drive being backed up.
If you haven’t backed up your computer’s assets in a while, the AMOEI Backupper presents a great opportunity to get that sorted quickly so you don’t end up in a bad situation.
Another thing we love about AOMEI Backuper is the lack of annoying ads or notifications. You won’t be inundated by prompts by the software to force you into getting a paid edition. AOMEI allows its product to speak for itself, relying on its superior service to encourage users to upgrade to the Pro version.